My tribute to Brian

What can I say about the wonderful man who I loved from the day I set eyes on him? I remember the day so clearly and I will be forever grateful for the universe’s intervention to arrange our meeting.
Brian and I met at work and used to flirt incessantly, (i think he did that with all the girls), my heart used to skip a beat whenever I saw him. That never changed, to the very last time I saw him walk through the door, my heart skipped a beat because i was so happy to see him home again.
Shortly after we met, I went on my grand adventure to teach English in Taiwan, e-mail was very new and I had to walk miles to an internet cafe, so we mostly sent snail mail letters. And so our relationship developed via letters. Once a week we used to take turns in calling each other, and it was always very late at night in SA and very early in the morning in Taiwan, we so loved that time together, when the world around us was asleep and it seemed like it was just the two of us in the world. Through our life together, we continued to enjoy the very early morning, sometimes lying talking at 3 in the morning, solving the world’s problems.
I will always remember his consideration, his care and his humour. In all my pain and grief I still feel and see his humour around me. I will also remember his stubbornness and the other little quirks that I think only a wife gets to know. I will also never forget his great bear hugs and how safe I felt in his arms.
Brian supported worthy causes and was always trying to make a difference in the world, he shaved his hair every year for the CANSA Shave-a-thon, partly in memory of my father who died of cancer related complication and also to celebrate his mother’s triumph over the big C.
He was not only my husband and soul mate, lover and best friend, but he was my playmate too, we had such fun together, building sandcastles and flying kites, having pillow fights and dancing in the rain, driven for hours to find a little mound of snow and walking our dogs and I loved watching you doing cartwheels and handstands, though I was not brave enough to participate.
Brian my love, 13 short years yet we did so much, we had such wonderful times together and I can let you go with no regrets about the way we lived and loved each other. We loved each other completely and unconditionally.
Rosie, Lou, Carol and Michelle, thank you for Brian and thank you for accepting me as part of your family. It was a privilege to be his wife.
Go and find your CD shop in the sky and rest in peace, my love.
All my love is yours forever.
Beangirl

Comments

Popular Posts